Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

# 4: My Gentle Giant

After  venturing into the world of still life painting I quickly returned to painting one of my favorite things .. faces. Ajax was my first Rottie, possibly the biggest one I'll ever own. People had fun watching him walk me; he was 10 lbs heavier than I was. I snapped this picture of him at a Massachusetts state park 3 summers back. It has been two years and one month since we lost him to cancer - what better way to remember the good times than lay them on canvas. An older watercolor portrait of Ajax can be found here. 

Spent majority of the day browsing through blogs of several daily painters. Key things I realized during today's 2 hour painting session:
1. I can't create a masterpiece every time I paint (refering to painting #3)
2. Unlearn so you can appreciate new ways of painting
3. Don't stop painting

Enough banter for today .. Enjoy the piece!
Medium: oil on canvas
Size: 5x7 in


Original and Prints